Thursday, June 9, 2011

Feeds My Soul

I am on a little "What feeds the soul?" kick lately. I am really enjoying tallying up things that I think really do feed the soul, and not just my soul, but everyone's soul. My last post was more personal, about what feed my soul that day and was much more detailed. But I believe there are some basic activities/items (or whatever) that are universal, i.e. they work for all people, in feeding the soul; enriching our lives and our spirits.

Here are some that I have come up that I have experienced these past few days.
#1. Gardening and weeding especially
#2. Cooking with fresh/whole foods
#3. Listening to wind chimes
#4. Holding a sleeping baby
#5. Random acts of kindness
#6. Being the recipient of such kindness
#7. Eating food one has grown
#8. Singing or making music in some way
#9. Making a new friend(s)
#10. Teaching an eager student

I think that is good enough for right now. Of course there are so much more, but 10 is good to start. Anyway, I think that the concept of "feeding the soul" is very interesting. It is a very basic statement, in and of itself. To feed just means to consume something, something that typically gives a being more energy and refreshes it. "Feed the soul"? Not very complex, and yet very deep.

We are always feeding our bodies because we have to or we die (literally), but I believe that in some ways we all have been have been slacking off in the feeding of our souls. How does one really, truly feed the soul? How do we know if the activities we are taking part in are feeding our souls "health food" or junk food"?

Well, I guess the answer is actually pretty simple. If the soul nourishing we take part in makes us feel at peace, REAL peace, and enables us to give love freely, then we have consumed some really good soul health food. I think that the list above is chocked full of soul super foods. And right now, I am on a soul health food kick. :) May we all be "Health Nuts" with our souls. :)



What do you think is a soul health food??? Do you think that peace and an ability to love more are signs we have feed our souls well?

2 comments:

AngieA said...

I love your soul food list, you have a lot of great stuff!

For me, one of my soul foods is just getting out in nature, any kind of nature. Its so nice to get away from the technology and just BE. Some of the times I've had the most clarity in life is when I'm out in nature and pondering things. Great post!

Tara said...

Hmmm, I loved your list! Besides adding the obvious church answers, I could add nature too, or taking time to work on a talent. Those always help me. I also LOVE a great conversation. One that makes me and the person I'm conversing with think, and go back and forth with ideas or thoughts. With my husband, or with any person I get along with.

Family Pix

Family Pix