Monday, October 27, 2008

Tiger Mommy Teaches

The day has come. I actually didn't think I would need to teach Lexi about this. But I do. I need to teach her about asserting herself and standing up for herself. Why? Well, just last Saturday we were at the Burger King Playplace when a boy growled at Lexi as she was making her way up to the slide. She watched him with wide eyes as he growled 2 more times. Then she burst into big, wet, sad tears! Carl went up to save her and brought her down. But I wanted her to go up and slide down just like she wanted to in the first place. So I went up with her. She said, "I'm afraid of the boy" in her cute little voice. But I told her not to be afraid, he was just making bear noises. (Not so scary sounding now, huh?) I advised her to "growl back." Then I had her growl a few times for me to practice. Ha! Silly? Perhaps . . . But we know how the protective Tiger-Mommy in us comes out when we see our kids getting intimidated or scared. We wanna protect them and make it all better!

Personally, I don't really think I am the person for the job. I am not very good at asserting myself. And really, it wasn't a big deal.
I was overreacting in a very young-mother sort of way. Lexi is just learning the dynamics of socializing. Eventually she will learn how to react and move on to playing once again. She will be fine without my help. Tiger-Mommy won't be needed. Which is good, since Tiger-Mommy is really tired anyway. : )

2 comments:

iandysgrl said...

You're such a good mom, Courtnie!

Michelle said...

I think I would have felt the exact same way in that situation! I think tiger mommy is needed, no matter how tired she may be. :)

Family Pix

Family Pix